I completed the pipe and wire portion of this job late today. Before we mounted the x'former we hooked it up temporarily to test it and, just like the math said it would, it put out 430 volts on H1-H2-H3.

H7-H8-H9 gave us in the 390 volt range, also just as the math said it would.

A nice quiet hum accompanied it, and had I been able to get the salvage boys to have dug me out a real 208 to 480 volt transformer I would have been happy. I was unable to feel good about the low voltage to run the guy's new pride and joy, however, and will make him wait til I return from an out of town job next week before he can play with his new toy.

The salvage place I got this one at is near this out of town job and I will go there with some time to spend and make sure they look around for a better fit this time.

When all is said and done it is better to be able to relax mentally after completing a job than to hope and pray something will hold out.

Its always satisfying to get hands on experience with something and widen your horizons a little.

I will post the final chapter in this saga next weekend, if all goes well. Thanks for the replies. This site is just so great with its cross section of knowledge and wide array of experience to draw from. No such think tank exists for me around town where helpful brainstorming takes place so quickly.

Thanks, Ken