Originally Posted by Radar
My WiFi access point (broadcaster) is not in the same box as my DSL router. I would recommend keeping them separate, as well as changing the broadcast name, password, the entire IP numbering or your network to something non-standard, limiting internet access to specific MAC addresses, etc. Make it dificult for the WiFi hunters.

An amazing number of people still go out and buy a Linksys WiFi DSL/Cable router, take it out of the box, hook it up and plug it in, and turn it on without changing any of the default settings. I have one or 2 in my neighborhood - if I knew who they were, I'd go tell them.

Radar,
That is very good advice there.
Especially with MAC addresses, it is hard to spoof one of them.

The trouble is, is the manufacturers and the people that market these devices to consumers that don't really know anything about computers, but like using them anyway.
These are the same people that never bother to read any of the documentation that comes with these devices and expect it to work when it is plugged in and the set-up disk has run.

I also have a feeling that these could be the same people that ring the support line when it doesn't work first time, when it hasn't been configured properly, as per the settings in the manual.

Simple may be good in some things, but it also makes them easy to hack.
It is a shame that there are people around that do take advantage of this fact, but, hey, that is the reality of life.

I could be turning into a whinging old codger, but I reckon things have got too simple (dumbed down) for thier own good.