A thread in the business forum showed an interest in discussing Solar power, so I thought I'd open a thread here.

Just for the sake of good conversation, I'd like to avoid the general 'political' aspects, and concentrate on the 'nuts and bolts' issues.

First, for the mechanics:
If you have a way to tuen sunlight into electricity, you have two ways to use that electricity: you can either be 'on grid' or 'off grid.' For safety reasons, you really can't be both.
"On Grid" means you're tied into the PoCo. You have an inverter and a disconnect switch; in code terms, you have a 'separately derived system.' The inverter is the key element, as this is also the part that prevents the unit from energizing a downed power line. This safety feature is NOT found on the inverters you find at the auto-parts store. Your PoCo meter will slow, or even reverse, as you produce power. Some PoCo's will also want an additional meter on the solar power system.
"Off Grid" means you don't connect to the PoCo at all, and store the power in batteries.

The Business Aspects:
Most 'solar' seems to be installed by plumbing & mechanical contractors. When the 'solar' is for heating water, this is fine. Many of these guys are also installing the photocell packages as well, or there will be local distributors that do this work. Be advised that most of these guys do NOT have the required 'electrical contractors' license. If you look at the fine print of the licensing statutes, you will probably find that an EC license is needed, even if you're just assembling the modules, and letting someone else tie them to the grid. I see a business opportunity here.

"Guerilla Solar"
This is something popular within the solar movement. This is where you have an installation completely without the knowledge of the PoCo, the city, or anyone else. Some of these guys simply have a male plug on a cord, and plug it into the nearest receptacle.