Hi all,
I'm the "Warehouse Manager" (read as driver/tool repair/materials coordinator/inventory/etc) for a mid-size commercial/industrial elec. contractor in Western PA. Among the myriad of things that fall under my list of responsibilities is managing our scrap material (mostly wiring), be it left-overs, or demo material, etc.
My basic issue is this. Currently all these materials are being brought back to my warehouse, and I'm stockpiling them until I have a reasonable volume to take to a scrap metals dealer. This created a few issues, one, I don't have a ton of space, and storing this material eats it up. Two, we're handling this scrap a minimum of 4 times before it gets to a scrapyard, so I'm getting entirely too much labor involved in it.
To further compound the problem, the only 'local' scrap dealer is paying poor prices relative to others within say 25-35 miles, however, the nearest alternatives are approaching 25 or so miles away. We did contact one of these other dealers about possible pick-up of material, however they want to be able to pick up something along the lines of a roll-off, volume-wise, and I do not have the space to either keep such a container secure until it would be filled, or to stockpile said material until I would have that volume.
What are those of you out there in similar situations doing to manage this issue? I'm just looking for some ideas, as right now it's a horribly in-efficient process for us, and I want to do something better.