"Yes, Reno the comm methods are becoming more complex and evolving quickly."

Well, not exactly. Much of the change is coming from manufacturers, just like with AFCI's, tamper-resistant receptacles, etc.

Voice communication has never required anything above CAT3 cable and even that is gross overkill. Telephone service is and will continue to be for many decades, delivered to the premises via non-category rated cable. Even CAT1 cable (if you could still buy it) would be more than is needed for voice use. Reno, if I recall correctly, your phone service is working on a 1950's era parallel steel drop wire, yet DSL can still travel over it.

CAT3 for voice and CAT5 for data have pretty much been the industry norm for about twenty years now. In a residential application, it is important to note that the data speeds delivered via DSL, cable modem or even the newer fiber-optic services still operate at the old speeds. Cable capable of carrying 10Base-T (CAT3) is really all that is needed. Wiring overkill does nothing to improve voice quality or improve data speed.

Running CAT5 for voice is about the equivalent of running 10/2 Romex for a 15 amp lighting circuit.

Running CAT3 for voice is about the equivalent of running 12/2 Romex.

The fact is that contractors and suppliers are trying to minimize overhead by simplifying stocking. That is why CAT5 seems to be the most common cable out there. Communications cable suppliers aren't quite as limited as electrical supply houses.

The manufacturers are panicking because the suppliers aren't buying as much of their product. To counteract this, they invent "new and improved" versions of the same thing (reinvention of the wheel). All of this "CAT6, 6A, 7, shielded UTP", etc. is all hype. The computer geeks are driving this wave because they often have an open check book full of other people's money to spend. The IT guys always get whatever they want because everyone is scared of losing their computers.

By the way, those structured wiring panels are a waste as well. Professional voice and data people absolutely hate them. I know this because 95% of what I do is voice/data. Again, the manufacturers figured out a way to scare people into buying things that truly aren't needed or desired.

Just so shed a little more light on the subject, all of the computers, IP phones and even wireless access points in my home are wired using spare pairs in "CAT Nothing" four pair cable. These cables are also shared with voice. It has been that way for ten years. It can be done, but the manufacturers don't want you to know it.

---Ed---

"But the guy at Home Depot said it would work."