One of my guys ask me this and I have no (legitimate) answer therefore I need this answered by someone more knowledgable than I on motors and buck boost xfmrs. We have a 240v (single phase) motor being run on 208v with a B/B xfmr ahead of it. It's been there for quite a while but has been a prob due to burned motors (2 in 3 yrs). It is wired exactly as shown in the Acme Xfmr diagram. This puts the H1-4 in series; the X1-4 in series and the H in series with the X, basically one long series hook up. Input is the 2 ends of H and output is the extreme ends. In this configuration, one input is tied directly to one output. That means that one output reading to ground is 120...no prob. The other output has the boost added and reads about 140. The reading between the two outputs is about 238... no prob. Now the question: Is there any short or long term effect on the 240v (single phase) motor if the voltage on one leg is higher than the other? My gut feeling was that it's not a prob and we need to look elsewhere for the cause of the prob but I couldn't justify my answer other than to say "It's always worked before".
Any help would be appreciated

Last edited by Steve Miller; 06/12/09 04:23 PM.