I am in the early stages of a 'rush' job. I expect this job to drag on and on .... let me explain why. I'm sure the more experienced contractors will recal similar struggles.

The story began about a month ago, when I got a panicked call from the maintenance guy of a property management firm. It seems a double-wide trailer had magically appeared in an RV space, and the installer was having trouble getting 240v out of what proved to be a 120v service.

Indeed, the space itself proved to be illegal .... "Space 55" in a park that the city had limited to 52 spaces. Only because the park was 'tenant metered' had the 'development' been able to progress this far!

Now the heat is on for me to provide power to this illegal (so far) mobile home. The job has been a real education.

The park owner has been telling different folks different things. He certainly tossed around the names of all the city folks who, he assured me, knew all about his operation. He just cannot grasp the idea that being forthcoming and honest is the way to get things done.

My permit application has run into a roadblock - necause the owner has yet to provide the city with plans and documentation for the new trailer spaces ... documentation he was told he needed to have last September!

How can this (presumably) savvy businessman ever imagine that he can cram several trailers into a trailer park, and not involve the city, the utility companies, and several contractors? The trailer itself represents a sizeable expense; would you buy a car witout having a place to park it?

The trailer-setting contractor has already been 'red tagged,' and has yet (a month later) to receive a permit to install the trailer. NO arrangements have been made to connect this trailer to the sewer or water systems.

OK, I've vented. It appears I'm going to have to leave the ditch I dug yesterday open for some time, as the paper churns.