My worst one was on this podunk little house way out in the sticks. The whole job was sort of... creepy. And seeing the crawlspace didn't improve how I felt about it. To get into this space I had to squeeze through a vent opening roughly the size of two cinder-blocks. I get under this house and it's not even a "crawl" space, it's a "drag yourself forward with your arms while lying flat on your stomach" space. Of course, the place I have to get to is clear on the opposite corner of the house.

So I'm pulling myself over all this ancient construction rubbish and god knows what else is down there, trying not to think about what's below me or what's living in the beams directly over me, for that matter.

I get into the corner and start working on a j-box with the glow from my little flashlight. Out of the corner of my eye I see a bunch of camel crickets, crickets with big long legs, all over the wall. Heck, they're just big crickets, no problem. Then when I'm finished, I shine the light over to the wall: Wolf spiders. Each one several inches in diameter. Dozens of them all over the wall and god knows where else.

I'm a little bit of an arachnophobe, to put it mildly, and you never did see anyone drag themselves across a crawlspace and stuff themselves back out a vent as fast as I did.

Yuck.

-John