Hello again everyone.
I am in the process of forming a small electrical contracting business. I should have a business plan completed in 2 months, which will provide valid information on whether or not my idea is a valid one. My plan is to focus on high end new residential construction, and residential and small commercial service work. I am not doing this because of the hard economic times, but to challenge myself. In addition, I have always felt at the mercy of my employers, and even though I always had the mind set that I would try to make every project profitable, I found that no matter how much I loved the company, it never loved me back. Although I have a stable job working as a maintenence electrician, it can be terminated at the employers whim. I am tired of being at the mercy of someone else, and while I have the fear of going alone, I have to do it to for the one thing I really want, which is freedom from dependence on one employer. I estimate that it will take 18 months to put the business together, and learn as much as I can about how to make it successful. I may fail, but if I make it, perhaps I can offer work to other electricians. While I enjoy my current job as a physical plant electrician at a local university, I am ready to leave it behind when the time is right. I just wanted to share this with the electricians on the forum, as that is what I am honestly planning to do. I know from the posts that some of you are very succesful contractors, and most of you are top of the line electricians, so it is important for me to share this with you. I will keep posting as things develope, first for your feedback and opinions, secondly to share what I may learn. Thankyoufor allowing me to be a member of this very professional forum.