Originally Posted by sid123456
Market average. Walmart sells 4 tires 4 $400. Sparky sells same 4 tires for $3,000. ????

The key word here is "same".
Same quality of materials, same workmanship, same service.
I've seen some pretty poor service upgrades, didn't meet code, etc. and I've seen some really high quality service upgrades.
I've also seen some contractors that provide terrible service and some that provide superior service.

We're not selling panels, breakers, wire, boxes, receptacles, switches, etc.
The customer can buy these at Home Depot cheaper than what we sell them for.
We're selling service. This is what the customer is paying for.

I've seen some of the work customers have said they got a great deal on. I personally wouldn't have paid a dime for some of the crap I've seen. In fact I would want to be reinbursed for having to rip out all the crap they installed and have it done right.

I believe it's ultimately up to the customer to determine whether or not the price they paid for the quality of the work and the level of service they received was a ripoff.

When you go out to dinner you can go to a really cheap restuarant or you can go to a really expensive restuarant. Are the really expensive restuarants a ripoff?
There are plenty of people who don't seem to think so.
I can go to the store and buy my own steak a lot cheaper than the what the restuarant is selling it to me for.

The end result is always the same. It all flushes down the toilet the same.
So why would anyone go to a really expensive restuarant just to flush it down the toilet a couple of hours later?

Who determines the market average?
The customer?
The electrical contractor?

So if all EC's sold service upgrades for $6500.00 than it's not a ripoff?

If I sell service upgrades for $1500 but you sell them for $3000 does that mean your a ripoff?
What if I do a crappy job, don't show up when I say I'm going to, don't call the customer to let them know I'm not going to make it and the customer took of work that day only to have me not show up?

Some people place a high value on their time, don't like to have it wasted and are willing to pay more.
Some people also want a top notch installation and not some half fast scabbed together installation that barely meets code if even that.

If the customer paid $6500 for the same crappy service they could have gotten from the guy that would have charged much less then yes they got ripped off.

Last edited by A-Line; 04/14/09 11:42 PM.