Originally Posted by Rob In NJ
It's getting risky to run Windows 98 on Internet-connected computers as security updates are no longer available for that OS (which is, after all, over ten years old now).

That having been said, I use and recommend "avast!" which has a free "Home Edition" available. It supports Windows versions back to Windows 95, and it's done very well in magazine comparisons against the expensive ones.

http://www.avast.com/eng/home_edition.html

Thanks for the link... I'm downloading AVast as I write this. Their website says they are going to support Win98 until the end of 2009, which is substantially longer than AVG, who will be discontinuing support in April.

I can definitely understand having issues with an unsupported OS like Win98, but Win2K is still more or less at least a partially supported platform with patches and updates available for download from the Microsoft Update site. I believe, at least, for Win2K Server anyway.

What I can't understand why AVG seems unable to maintain their software compatibility with this patched and updated OS without constant screw-ups, especially since they specifically listed it as a supported platform and required me to pay for a two-year license in advance.
Anyway, hopefully brighter skies are ahead. Thanks again!