Hi Guys,
I was at a new house today and was asked a rather strange (but not in itself silly) question by the guy that owned the place.
Now don't get me wrong, I'm not a building inspector by anyone's stretch of their imagination, but this question had me a little intrigued.

What it pertains to, was the guy was asking if installing a fan (like an Expelair) directly in the ceiling lining in his hall-way, would contravene the Building Act, with respect to moisture transfer?

Now, ever since the "leaky homes" debacle came to light over here, it has been almost a sin to make openings in plaster-board walls and ceilings, even down-lights need to be of a certain rating for different areas.

The reasoning behind this idea, is the fact that even during winter, with the corrugated steel roofs we have over here, these is a LOT of heat generated in the roof void, that often goes to waste, on the other hand, New Zealand has some of the dampest houses in the world, owing to the climate and the fact that people never open their windows anymore.

The idea would be to install one or two of these fans, to pull down heated air out of the roof void to combat the colder, damper air in the rooms below.

This in itself isn't such a silly idea, however, I'd like to bet that the Building Act has some sort of a fish-hook clause that prevents this.

Your thoughts on this "idea", please? wink