I wasn't implying these pranksters would ever have a REAL job doing electrical work.

I have seen - and these pranks are but the latest example - more indications that "electricity" has lost some of the mystery that keep the DIY from attempting things himself.

Anyone dumb enough to wire 10,000 volts to a doorknob (one recent example) isn't above tinkering with their dorm's power in an attempt to get "more power." (Whatever they mean by that).

I am reminded of a recent service call ... near 0F, no heat ... where I found the furnace served by black, red, white, and green wires. In this instance, every wire was 'hot,' except the black - which was the 'neutral.' The disconnect was the last item in line. In other words, the entire thing was wired backwards.

The furnace guy had made some fireworks, AFTER he had opened the disconnect. Lock out, tag out, and it was all still hot. That's what happens when the neutral is switched.

Little things like that are why these pranks alarm me. These fools can't be bothered to learn, let alone follow, "the rules."