I have a friend who called me over to check his garage voltage out. He had some 120 volt outlets not working. He has a 120/240 feeder coming from his house feeding underground to a garage about 75ft. away. I check the voltage and find out that there's one phase not getting the right voltage. I was getting 123 volts to ground on one phase, and around 74 volts on the other phase. At first I thought one of the conductors were broken or burned under ground, then I traced it down to a HID fixture mounted on the outside of his garage. When I turned this breaker off, the voltage came back to 245 volts between phases. I then hooked up everything the way it was before ( I had to change the piece of rusted conduit that was coming up into the panel. After I hooked it all back up, I checked the voltage again. It corrected the voltage almost, but I'm still getting 123 volts on one phase and only about 111 volts on the other phase. Still seems to be something not exactly right.First question is how would a bad ballast in the light make the power to fluctate on the main lugs like this? 2nd question: Do you think there still might be a "bad wire" under ground causing the difference in voltage on the two phases? Thanks for the input.. Steve