The design is actually more of a theoretical at this point in time, and is part of a project I am working on designing for one of my old professors classes. Kind of an overkill I know, but something that "might" be seen in the real world, trying to give them a somewhat real world example of how motor controls and such would be used in everyday applications. In the plans I am using, which are for a 12000 sq. ft night club with a 3000 person occupancy, the plans call for 4 5HP exhaust fans which are to be controlled by a simple start stop station connected with a CO monitor (not quite sure the exact purpose of the CO monitor as of yet)... so my thoughts were to go a little further and allow the fans to do more than simply turn on or off at full speed according to a single set temperature, thus I am thinking that a PLC controller running 4 5HP VFD's would be best suited for running the system. Cost.. is and isn't really a consideration.... I want a system that someone would be proud of designing in its simplicity and effectiveness, and not a Rube Goldberg of a motor control.

I appreciate all your input.