This is what hurts legitimate contractors.
My neighbor contracted to have an in-ground swimming pool installed. As he is out of town quite a bit for his company, I looked in on things for him. The electrical installation has numerous code violations, PVC on top of the ground with dirt brushed over it, 6-90’s in 110V run to JB @ pool, 3 power raceways (PVC) buried about 1 inch, sealtite about 12 feet long from panel to motor partially buried about ½ to 1 inch in walk area, no support on PVC from panel to earth, 1 support on sealtite about 2-1/2 feet from panel, sealtite from JB to AC unit stretched tight with ty-raps supporting refrigeration line from sealtite.
(The AC was moved to accommodate the pool pump/filter assembly). Those are the basic items and there are several more.
I photographed everything possible and hand-delivered prints to the county zoning and building. An AHJ came out, verified the violations and said he would contact the pool builder. The conversation with the AHJ was enlightening. This pool builder has a rep for this type of work. The AHJ informed me that due to the way the computers are set up at county the pool builder never calls for an inspection and there is no automatic flagging of unclosed permits. After one year the permit automatically is deleted from the system whether inspection has been performed or not performed.
Major problem---IL has no state licensing for electrical or general contractors. Some cities and counties have their own licensing requirements but St. Clair County is not one of them. When is someone going to die because of this type of cheating?
I checked with the building dept on 09/05/2008 and an inspection had never been requested although the pool has been completed for over a month and is used often. BTW, I’m pushing with the building dept and the council to get something done as the current installation is hazardous.