bwise121-

Don't forget about the recent certification laws.

There are times when I'd like to pick up temporary help for the simple labor things and teach them a bit about the trade along the way and I wouldn't mind jumping through all the other hoops already mentioned. I even have a few people in mind that would like to do it and some who wouldn't have a choice (teen age children) but unless I'm reading the DIR's website incorrectly, if your hiring anyone other that a card carrying journeyman that employee needs to be enrolled in a training program. That means a serious commitment of time and money on their part. This won't work for temporary help here and there. I would have to keep enough work lined up to keep us all busy and the way some of the busier shops have been laying off around these parts now might be an iffy time for that move.

But that's me and not you.

There seem to be a good number of training programs in operation now, especially in your area. The price per unit seems pretty high and it would cost several thousand dollars and many hours of class time to complete the full four years required. Would be easier if you could find a journeyman or two. You will need one journeyman for every trainee by law.
When the certification bill was first signed by Gray Davis (Thanks a lot!!) there was some talk about pay scales being set by state. I don't know if that was true and I haven't been able to find any info on it.

Good luck if you decide to go for it.