Tom, 2 things wrong with the idea in my application. 1st, I've already taken the old one down, and had to sort of "tear it up" to get it out. 2nd, there's no room in the attic for any serious work. My only other option at this point without having him redo his bathroom ceiling completely, is using a "high dollar" Panosonic unit which is big enough that I could install it either way and still have the trim cover to cover everything or another high dollar round Nutone fan that would barely cover with the exceptions of small portions. I told him about the Panosonic which is going to cost me around $ 290.00 probably, but he wants to wait and see if I can come up with another option. I've used about all the options I know. I've called every manufacturer I know,and none makes the exhaust to go out on the side of the rectangular fan. It seems that Fasco was the only one, other than one other one who said they no longer made them either. That manufacturer told me he had had other complaints about it too. You would think that after quite a few complaints and suggestions, they would incorporate it into their manufacturing process. Maybe there's some safety issue I'm not aware of ... Well thanks anyway, just another opportunity to use my imagination I guess. thanks Steve...