A few things I've observed the past few years ....

I have seen situations where the sub got paid weekly - he either got paid when he turned in the bill / that Friday ... or he didn't show up Monday.
On one job, the moment the customer started hemming and hawing, the crew began taking apart what they had built. "Until you've paid, it's ours." They got paid. In full - but not after a few go-rounds of counter offers, etc.

On another job, a sub didn't get paid. Indeed, he and the GC had a difference of opinion as to the amount due. The sub complained to the contractors' board, was paid from the bond posted by the GC, and the GC had his license suspended until the bond was made whole.

In a number of instances, various firms - both large and small, all "respectable" - turned out to have company policies to not pay bills, period, for 60 or 90 days. Mind you, these same firms were real careful to collect from their customers immediately.
My position is straight from the old saying: I have an arrangement with my bank. They don't do electrical work, and I don't make loans. Such folks don't get me to work for them a second time.

Could you build such a 'float' into your pricing? Perhaps. Indeed, I charge new customers "full price." If I have any doubts as to their sincerity, the price goes up. Only when a customer has proven to both provide regular work, and pay promptly, do I 'sharpen my pencil.' Just yesterday, as an example, I 'ate' the hour it took to gather parts for such a customer. I have the check for that job already.