Originally Posted by Sixer

What my supplier does is mark everything down on a sheet of paper, and we sign that we picked it up. It's not until later (sometimes weeks later) that they actually key it into their system and that's when it's emailed to me. My employees tag the invoices with a customer name or stock, but a lot of times my supplier doesn't bother entering the name. Their system seems primitive for a company of their size, but I don't imagine they intend to upgrade it any time soon.

The issue here is that I feel like I'm losing control on the materials I purchase. I'm considering going to a Purchase Order system, but I'm a bit unsure on how it works, or how it can save me a bunch of headaches. My goal is to simplify things as much as possible so the paperwork isn't so overwhelming, yet still be able to track the purchases better.

Randy,
That system that your supplier uses, sounds pretty shonky.
Over here, they print you off an itemised receipt to show you what you have been supplied with, what it costs, the quantity (where this is relevant) and you're on your way.
Oddly enough, it also alters their stock levels, automatically when stuff leaves the warehouse.
Has this supply house heard of computers??

Job numbers, rather than the person's name are more common here.

Just my thoughts.