Yesterday, I went to the local diner for my special Saturday breakfast. I've had this practice for some time, and this is the sort of place where most folks know each other.

The husband of the woman who runs the place approached me - this was the first time we've spoken electric work. It seems his regular job is running a small warehouse / distribution center. He said that about 24 9f his 48 fluorescent lights were not working - would I be interested in fixing them?

Further conversation revealed that he had been asking around, and had received quotes from $75 (bulbs only) to several hundred dollars. He had also been told a ballast cost $75. He thought that 30 minutes to change a ballast seems excessive.

I explained that yes, some ballasts were that expensive ... I had no idea what lights he had. Having done some lighting conversions, I told him that - once you account for setting up the ladder, etc.- 30 minutes wasn't a bad time ... especially if you were only doing a few. I explained the cost of renting a lift - again, stressing that I had no idea as to the layout of his place. Naturally, the fact that his place was an hours' drive away, and the support from local parts houses was limited, is not going to help with pricing.

I also mentioned turning the power off while working on the lights.

Did I give him a price? No way .... you really need to walk the job to do that. Heck, if he has the "right" fixtures, I might even be able to upgrade to T-8's.

There's no hidden moral, no punch line, no great wisdom in this post. It's just a typical example of one of those casual encounters that might lead to some work.

As for the $75 guy? I picture some 'side job' gypsy with a box of used bulbs, standing on a pallet, lifted by the customers' forklift.