You know, I've seen most everything on kitchen counters .... mixers, toasters, irons, even small clothes washers ... but I've never seen a tape measure sitting around! laugh

Put the receptacles, first and foremost, where they will be useful. This is called 'good design.' Then, if you must, add a few to fill in large gaps. Imagine: both code compliance and a happy customer.

I've had a few customers ask me "why so many?" I then explain how they're placed for the customers' use. Visiting the site a few months later, I always get rave reviews ... it seems some of the 'oddest' receptacle locations quickly became the customers' favorite, and are always in use.

In my experience, time spent hounding the customer for details as to their use is time well spent. For example, if you know a bed will be centered on the window, it makes sense to place a receptacle on either side of the window. Yet, how often do we see the plans indicate a single receptacle dead center, under the window?

I once did an office, where I met furious criticism at 'finish,' when the customer saw I had place some receptacles about 5 ft up the wall. Why? Because I knew file cabinets would be placed there ... and we all have horror stories about trying to get to that plug behind a ton of old files!
A week after occupancy, the sarcasm of the boss was more than canceled when he heard the secretary sing the praises of the 'genius' who put the coffeemaker receptacle over the file cabinets, where it could be reached. That same boss began to ask for these receptacle in every office remodel afterwards smile