sparkyinak
Thanks for participating!

Fantasyland is a nice place to work - and one would certainly love to live there!

I chose the Project's location in Fantasyland - and the Heavenly Customer, so the discussions may be more widely accepted + easier to understand by all viewers and posters.

Having said this, let's address the items you stated:

What about local ordinances and different adapted codes

Excellent item to post!

Being that I am in California, _MOST_ of the time, the Electrical Codes will be relevant to the CEC (California Electrical Code) - AKA Title 24, Part 3.
The "Model Code" for the CEC is the NEC.
We are currently on the 2007 CEC, Modeled from the 2005 NEC.

In Southern California, there are some local amendments, along with "listed preferences" - such as:
* Gray for 277V Grounded Neutral Conductors,
* Black, Red, Blue for 208Y/120V 3 Phase 4 Wire,
* Brown, Orange, Yellow for 480Y/277V 3 Phase 4 Wire,
* No Aluminum for sizes #2 and smaller,
* No NM Cable in Commercial installations,
* No Aluminum Grounding Electrode Conductors or Equipment Grounding Conductors.

City of LA has additional requirements.

I would like to toss around a few examples with people, and derive a fixed set of "Local Codes" to apply on our design scenarios.

My suggestions are to begin with the basics, as found in the 2005 NEC (I will include this to the first discussion thread tonight).

Location cost factors would be an issue

Since our scenario project is located in Fantasyland, we will figure the project is somewhere on the Equator, yet still in USA.
There will be no snow, rain, wind, frost or extreme heat; and it is always the Vernal or Autumnal Equinox (12 hours daylight, 12 hours night).

Crews will commute no more than 15 miles one way, to get to the project.

material cost is around 50% higher of the national average. With rising fuel costs, it will most certainly go up. Labor costs are 36%.

If possible, we could arrive at a National average - as determined by a consensus, or by NECA, and adjust it according to certain locations - such as yours.

These higher averages means someone out there is running below averages which equates to more the just a few dollars different in the price.

These are exactly the things I want to discuss, as this will help shed light on the vast differences experienced across the Country.

One important note:
I plan to run takeoffs of an agreed upon (to be proposed) installation quote, through the estimating application at work, as to arrive at a given price, estimated hours, and material listing.

Would be doing that for each scenario discussion.

Prior to compiling the takeoff, everyone may contribute as to what will be included, used, paid, and such.

I would also like to draw up a few rough E sheets, and maybe some proposal documents, and add these to the thread.

Thanks for the message - hope to see you in the discussions!

Scott

Scott " 35 " Thompson
Just Say NO To Green Eggs And Ham!