My dad was a farmer/mechanic/school bus driver when the REA electrified this county in 1939. He added another job; this REMCs first meter reader. Back then part of the REA deal was to offer "wiring" workshops at the local high schools to teach folks how to use this new invention, electricity. Dad took the classes and had a natural aptitude for it. He added another job title; electrician. He began wiring local farms to have light to milk and feed by and to pump water to livestock. Only later did farmers consider electricity in the house! Over the next 25 years dad wired a lot of old farmhouses as well as new homes. He also built a lot of radio transmitters/receivers after WWII and loved the Heathkits. He had a real passion for electricity/electronics. It rubbed off on me and when I thought I had learned all dad knew I tagged along on other's shirt tails for what I could learn. Didn't make much money, didn't need much as a kid, but what I learned was invaluable. I strive to maintain the level of quality and craftsmanship I learned from these old gentlemen who were there at the birth of electricity in this country.