ricker, I too came from an industrial background. I never needed a license to work in a plant or factory. One day I ran into a helper that I had trained and he told me he got his electrical masters license and contractors license. That very day I called the vocational college and the rest is history. I have a masters and a contractors card in SC. I was fortunate enough to get about 10 years in construction before I got into industrial. I still carry both cards but never have really used them except for resumes. Now that I am disabled I still keep both up to date.
If you have met the requirements for testing and licensing, go for it! You will be able to saturate your current knowledge with your new found qualifications. Even if you don't ever use your accreditations, you will always have the satisfaction that YOU improved your technical ability. You will have the qualifications and have the papers to prove it.
Along with this forum there a couple real good ones that you can use as sounding board. Many contractors ask questions when they are not sure. We will never know everything and we learn something new everyday. So savor this opportunity, as very few people can acheive what looks to be within your reach. When you are concerned about any job or project, you can easily get help from any of the forums and the AHJ in the jurisdiction. Good luck and keep in touch.

www.forums.mikeholt.com
www.electriciantalk.com