My, my, my. A tiny little panel like that in a fairly new house? That really does scream of corner cutting by the builder. I don't think I've seen anything smaller than a single 40 circuit panel in any new home built since at least the mid 1970's (even that's a stretch). I know that I haven't seen a 100 amp service on a new house in at least that long, but as I've been told here before, they still do them in some parts of the country.

Bob, I know that it sounds as if everyone is beating you up, but that's not our intention. We just don't want you to take comfort in thinking that everything is OK when it truly is not. There really are quite a few issues from the ground up (no pun intended) that need to be addressed BEFORE you even consider the dryer issue. The issues that have been pointed out would be bad enough in an indoor panel, but when it's outdoors, that compounds the problem. You should get the inspection/repairs/replacement taken care of now while it's still possible. The whole thing really looks like an accident waiting to happen.

---Ed---

"But the guy at Home Depot said it would work."