I just had to respond (rant) about this topic.

Yes it is a listed product so it has been investigated by UL.

Then what happens???

Well if you're in my part of the country, the manufacturer and installer (who are usually one in the same) go ahead and ignore whatever was in the follow up agreement. They just do what the y think is right. All they want is that UL sticker to put on their sign so the inspector will buy off on it.

I will tell you that the UL sign listing program is an ABSOLUTE joke!!! And I don't care who hears me.

I've turned in close to 100 signs that did not meet UL manufacturing requirements. Did anything happen?

NO!!!!!

EDIT Add: I should say the local UL inspector came out, but in the big picture, nothing happened.

Signs are not that hard. If it is a section sign ask for the installation instructions. They are to be furnished with every section sign per UL 48.

Do manufacturers include them ? NO!!!!

Do most inspectors know to ask for them? NO!!!

Do installers know what they are???? NO!!!!

So I don't care if it's an LED sign or neon. Ask for the installation instructions!

If it is a self-contained sign, then all you have to worry about is the field wiring compartment. Does it have one???

If the primary wiring is visible in the same compartment as the neon or LED then it is wrong!!!

Last edited by sandsnow; 01/07/08 12:40 AM.

Larry LeVoir
Inspector
City of Irvine, CA