Thanks for the replies. The problem with the pump was that it would start ok, pulling around 9 to 11 amps on start up, then leveling off at around 6 or 7 amps. It would run for about 1 minute or so then the amp reading would go down to
nothing. Then the homeowner would turn on more water and the pump would come on again, with the same amp readings, then it would trip the breaker. I checked all the connections, changed the breaker, and ohmed the wires going down to the pump, where I would get a reading between the two hot legs but not to ground. I realize that I could have been getting the reading through the windings, but with the motor acting the way it was, it looks to me like the motor IS bad. And No I'm not pulling it up. Going to let someone else do that. That's a little beyond my job description smile I was just wanting to know the next time I run into this how to definitly determine that the motor is bad so I can tell the customer something for sure. Thanks for the link Don. I'll check it out. Thanks for all the replies. Steve..