I, and another electrician, were dispatched to a rental house, whose occupants complained that half the house was without power.

I arrived moments after the other guy ... who was with the rental agent, at the old-style fuse box. I got there just in time to see him remove a foil-wrapped fuse. "I love (bleep) fuses!" said he. A check with the meter showed all circuits were getting power.

At this point, the tenants came out. First impression: I always wanted to meet Cheech and Chong! "Chong" teels us that there's still no lights on the first floor.

Lighting was by switched receptacles. As I bent under a lamp, to turn it on, I was interrupted by "Cheech" coming down the stairs.
"Oh, I forgot to tell you (to Chong) ... I needed a bulb, so I took one from the front room, until I can get more."

Yup. The first floor had no lights because ... there were no light bulbs. And, yes, someone had wrapped a perfectly good fuse in foil in a repair attempt ... without even looking to see if there was a bulb, or the lamp was unplugged, or the switch was 'off.'