Originally Posted by BigJohn
In picture 6 that shows the PVC pipe running along the side of the house, what's the violation there? Is it that they went to the trouble to install their new entrance conductors over-top the old ones that should be getting demo'd? Or that they put their strut at an elbow?

And I haven't worked on many residential services, so I don't understand the violation in picture 7 either. I don't even understand the label: A 125A meter socket rated for 400 amps...? Is that 400 total and 125 per meter or something?

The rest of that, however, is obviously pretty nasty. It always rings alarm bells for me when I hear stories about electricians being called to "just finish a little bit" of someone else's work. There's usually a good reason that "someone else" isn't there anymore. Either they were fired for hack work or skipped out to avoid prosecution for hack work.

-John

Picture 6 shows a 2" conduit running to the 4 meter stack. The nameplate picture is for the four meter main buss (400A). By my calculations Table 310.15(B)(6) 400A copper is 400kcmil wire or a minimum 3 conductor feeder conduit size of 3" for the conduit(they used 2"). The conduit is coming from the junction box on the corner that is a nema 3R can mounted upside down. I am pretty sure without even checking that the can dimension is WAY undersized for that size wire, I would guess somewhere around a 24X24X6 without doing the calculation. One of the other pictures shows exposed PVC conduit running through the utilities gas piping which is a big no-no. As far as the PVC being legal overhead I don't think that is even allowed. I personally would have installed EMT or rigid for the installation.

Last edited by Fidelity Electric; 12/03/07 12:56 AM.

You can learn a lot from a dummy...buckle up!!