How do contractors deal with sloppy residential project plans?

This seems to be normal in some areas of construction in my area. Probably because the consultants are merely slapping together a set of plans, re using the specs from the last similar job and leaving the EC to figure out what they really want. I think the role of the electrical engineer on residential type projects is merely to get a set of plans out facilitate the permitting process.

I was handed a set of drawings a few days ago from a reputable developer, who also takes the role of general contractor. This company is primarily involved with multi tenant residential and small commercial developments
attached to them. These plans were for a small 6 unit retail store complex.

The plans contain conflicting information, a couple of wrong part numbers, some specified material that is no longer manufactured, and quite a bit of missing detail on how the structure of the building will be framed. Also there is a significant level of direction that adresses workmanship, suggesting they normally have a fair bit of trouble with that.

I do not normally do woodframe buildings but I looked at this one because it is so close to my home and it looks intersting. I have decided not to bid it.

First, I can understand why these consultants are merely plan stampers, but how do you bid such a job?

My first reaction was to pad my bid accordingly so I am covered but you lose bids this way. Also there are the weasel clauses in the specifications designed to protect the developer from things that might not be thoroughly engineered at the contractors risk. I have a bad feeling working for a developer who is also the GC.

I have a few questions for the contractors here who do this type of work.

Do you actually spend hours correcting the consult and submitting alternative items for approvals?
Or
Do you have the experience to know what they want and make the assumption they are tolerant as long as things are done well and to code, and you are making generous allowances for unclear items?
Or
Do you just wing it and have enough work on the go so that it all evens out in the long run?