I am thinking at some point in the future I would like to wire my whole house for audio and video. I have not started any research yet; I thought I'd try here first.

I don't know if it is available, but if not, I have a hunch I could build it. I want to move all my audio and video media to hard drive. I'd like to put speakers and maybe a flat panel in any room with an interface on the wall that would allow me to select audio or video files from a single database or any database available. I'm thinking if I set up a PC (possibly server?) and hook each room to it, then I could play iTunes (or similar music manager) in any room at the push of a few buttons. Want radio? No problem, maybe a radio tuner card (similar to TV tuner)? Tune the station from wall control. Want to watch something off of Tivo or DVR? Pump it through the network. Then hook all possible sources through it, antenna, SAT, internet.... Each flat panel in each room could have a keyboard and in essance be a PC, access SAT or DVR or play any purchased and saved movies.

Do you catch the idea? All of this media is digital at some point or another. I would think it could be relatively inexpensive to bring it to one device so it can be accessed with the same functionality from many devices anywhere else throughout the house.

Does anyone have any leads of where to start for equipment or what format or compatibility roadblocks to be aware of?