Originally Posted by Niko
At least here in CA, if a person is told what to do, ..that person is an employee
If the same person ..has a contractors license then the person can act as one.

The CA CSLB (Contractors State Licensing board) requires 24 months of experience vouchers, in addition to a 4-yr college degree, before allowing me to test for a C-10 or bonding.

With about 18 months of these vouchers, as both a US TAX form# 1099 "independent" from C-10's and commercial clients, directly under the "handyman" classification, I've worked with city inspectors, plans engineers, the utility, and do so legally under my state's "Business & Professions Code", without being classified as an employee.

These State codes are listed on my working agreement, along with a description of the legal-business environment on the back side.

For those insisting its illegal for a state certified JW to touch electrical as a 1099, handyman, or submit these clients as CSLB vouchers without a US Tax form# W2, feel free to print and critique both of these pages, at www.NoFixNoPay.info

If sub $500 projects aren't paying the bills, vouchers from W2 employers will be needed, but under the General Public License (GPL), I offer this independent template to anyone seeking a legal transition from employee to contractor.

Roger Ramjet NoFixNoPay.info