Most of us are probably the kind that can fix most anything, know how stuff works, fix our own cars (at least when we were younger), and just grew up doing hands on stuff and figuring stuff out.

There are other types of people out there who grew up a different way, maybe they are good at retail or banking, or the restaraunt business etc. They never cared to know how stuff works, and would just as soon pay to have things done for them. They had no interest in taking stuff apart and figuring stuff out.

My question is, do you think the people who fall into the latter category could become good electricians in mid life? I have been approached by a good many of these types, and asked if I would be willing to train them. I feel that the reason they want this, is that they are sick of what they are doing and they think what I do looks easy and makes a lot of money, not because they have developed a sudden interest in the building trades.

I am doubtful that someone who has grown up with no mechanical inclination can sucessfully learn to be a GOOD electrician, not just a Romex jocky. I find it hard to imagine they would be able to understand the theory, and not be a hazard to themselves and others. What would suddenly drive them to learn stuff they never had an interest in?

I truly believe the vast majority of these people simply do not realize they are not capable of a career such as this. I do not mean to insult anyone, and I would like to hear the opinions of others, especially anyone who has taken on the task of training a person who has had no previous interest in the things we grew up doing.