I am impressed that you can admit to it. Just goes to show that this forum is full of good people that you feel you can trust.

I do disagree with your last statement in some cases. Though any depression that I have felt has been the result of my own choices. My friend's depression is a result of genetics. I can not get into all the details here, suffice it to say that many members of his extended family have the same condition and it has resulted in several of them taking their lives after years of fighting it and medications. It is sad and frightening to see. I this case, they become disconnected with themselves during the depression and don't even see it as themselves commiting the acts against themselves.

Besides genetic mistakes with serotonin, depression has many causes and I do not know them. I do know that some depressions result from choosing to go against your values, other-from traumatic experience either self or outside inflicted, and some from just simply not taking care of yourself like lack of exercise.

Like I said, I am no expert but I feel for all those who face this trial in their lives.

Shane