It seems like my original perception of General Building Contractors performing other than General Framing / Carpentry, is incorrect, or at least in need of revisions!

Originally thought that Limited Specialty Trades (other than General Framing / Carpentry) performed by General Building Contractors holding a California "B" License, was if the Contracting Firm also held License for the Specialty Trade:

* either in conjunction to the "B" License; such as "B, C10" under one qualifying individual and one Contractor's License number - with the appropriate Alpha-Numeric prefix (example: B, C10 012345),

* or if there is an RME / RMO holding a Limited Specialty Trade License;
such as an "In-House" Electrical Contracting division - resulting in "B" License and "C10" License held by different qualifying individuals, and possibly under separate CSLB numbers (example: B 999999, C10 000001).

It appeared to me that the General Contractor may take a Prime Contract for General Framing & Carpentry Project; and in addition, take Prime Contract for unrelated Specialty Trades:

* if these Projects are subcontracted by Licensed Subcontractors,

or

* if the General Contractor holds the appropriate Specialty Trade License.

In my experiences working within General Engineering & Building Contracting firms (A, B), which include an "In-House" Electrical Division (C10), I will obtain Permits for the Electrical portion (most likely after I have submitted Plans for examination and they are approved). Some times also obtain the Building Permit too.

We do not obtain the Mechanical (HVAC) or Plumbing Permits, as these will be obtained by the Subcontractor who is awarded that Subcontract.

S.O.P. (Standard Operating Procedure) for me working as part of an "In-House" firm, is to obtain Electrical Permits by submitting the following items:

* Completed Application for Electrical Permit,
* Business License for that City / County,
* Proof of Workers' Comp. Insurance (carrier name, policy number, expiry date),
* C10 License Number + expiry date,
* Contractor's Tax ID Number (FEIN),
* Social Security Number,
* Business information,
* Project's estimated value (contract value),
* Approved Plans,
* Total Permit and Counter Fees (this one is very important!!!).

When I pull both an Electrical Permit and a Building Permit for a given Project, they follow along the same lines as shown above, and normally result in two (2) individual Permit / Plancheck numbers being issued.
Some times two (2) separate job cards (Inspection Report Cards) will be issued, normally only one (1) job card is issued (depends on the AHJ).

Have never obtained Permits for Mechanical or Plumbing, nor do I ever plan to (have no clue what they would involve!).

Until now, it seemed like a General Contractor (B License) could obtain the Building Permit, and perform Framing + Carpentry
(and whatever in-house specialty trades that they hold license for),
then subcontract the "MEP" trades to individual licensed subcontractors.

These subcontractors are responsible for obtaining the permits for their trade installations, along with scheduling inspections + job walks with the inspector.

If it is indeed true that "B" Licensed General Contractors may _LEGALLY_ have their Employees perform limited specialty trade work - WITHOUT the Contractor (or RME/RMO) being required to also hold the appropriate Licensing (such as C10), that just flat-out SUCKS!!!

(Exception - HACKS / El-Cheap'O GCs:
unless the G.C. has people performing the specialty tasks _ILLEGALLY_;
as in without the appropriate Permit being issued, and consequentially - in lack of better terms... "Sans Inspection!!!)

That would be the biggest joke in the complexity of the California Construction Comedy Club, we deal with today!

Sounds to me like this:

Why bother with the "Nuisances" of taking the C10 exam, let alone passing it, keeping the License active, obtaining any required bonds, and all that baloney!

And who really needs to have Licensed Journeyman Electricians anyway!

Heck, any General Laborer we have on payroll, can install that/those:

* Service Equipment,
* Service Feeders,
* Transformer Vault,
* Panelboard,
* Branch Circuitry,
* HID Lighting,
* Suspended Fixtures,
* MCC,
* SDS Transformer,
* GES

AND they know just what material + Equipment to order and specify!!!

("Quoted" text is simply my extreme rage at the scenario, not any copied text from members, nor is it any type of insult to anyone performing work as a General Laborer.
I just have never seen any General Laborers, who were also extremely affluent Journeyman / Foreman Electricians - not that they don't exist, just that I have never seen of any).

Please excuse the rant, and as I exit the Soapbox (man, we really need an Animated GIF "Emoticon" for that one!), would like to know what is going on with this issue!

Scott35

Scott " 35 " Thompson
Just Say NO To Green Eggs And Ham!