I messed up my leg pushing a double oven up a set of stairs Sunday. Then it wouldn't fit and I told the customer to call a woodbutcher to cut the space out. Part of the job involves delivery of appliances that I install. Hard wired stoves and range hoods require a license to install. I am pissed at the store for not verifying the size of the oven opening. They offered to pay me 30.00 extra, but my leg is still torn up. I can still work, but have to limp everywhere for a while.
These jobs are hit or miss, sometimes 3 or 4 come in at once and sometimes a couple days go by without anything to do. I sure don't have the ability to hire someone yet, but if I get enough business I will have to, just to get the jobs done.
Today I feel like the MAYTAG MAN, waiting for a job to come over the fax machine. Good thing I am already retired, and can deal with the slow pace.
Some of the guys I worked with were bums, and some were great electricians. The problem is that they had worked in the trade for years, knew more than I will ever know about this trade, but for some reason, never had the desire to take the license exam.Or, they had taken it and failed and became discouraged.Either way, it is a shame to see good employees have to work for shitty wages, and have to work with the bums who drag down the whole business. I don't trust general contractors after hearing the horror stories here about their business practices. My former boss even told me how he had been ripped off by GC's,
one time for 8,000.00!