After reading what is dicussed here, I agree with some and disagree with the rest.
Alot of customers in the commercial and industrial setting have an idea, on some or many items used in our field. They have maintenance people who purchase things that they replace or fix, Ex ballasts, lamps, fixturs, sometimes wire or raceway ect.
Marking up materials to over 50% seems to me can burn you in some situations. There are so many contractors out there to who charge low labor, because a new one buy's a truck and starts his own "business" every day.
They do shotty work, but customer doesnt know, cause they cant see alot of it. Guys dont pull permits.
Many reasons. To stay competetive I just cant see marking up everthing to these high #'s
As far as burden, like Dnkldrf stated, there isnt much. Supppliers deliver anything you want. Cost of materials w/tax and mark up should be in your quote. P/u, and unpackaging should be in your labor cost.

Example. Doing a job where customer wants a large UPS system. Unit is in the $30k range. How could you justify a 150% mark up?