A GC I have done a few jobs for called me the other day and said he has two jobs he wants me to do BUT he has a problem with my contract. I asked which part and he said most of it.

Now, my contract is pretty basic and has the usual content (scope of work, payment schedule, GC/EC remedies if either defaults, warranty). Nothing is one-sided or unfair. He said all of his other contractors simply send him a proposal outlining the work they will do and he signs it.

I asked him, "Are you asking me to throw out my contract ?" He replies "No, but I think we can condense it down to one page." My contract is six pages. My first thought was, "I'm going to need a BIG piece of paper."

I told him to make a list of the specific parts of the contract he has a problem with and get back to me. Haven't heard from him sense.

The homeowner on one of the jobs I have done for this GC told me another contractor was telling her (the homeowner) he hasn't been paid for the last nine jobs he (the sub) has done for this GC. My first thought was, "Why are you still doing work for him ?"

I have yet to meet a GC who didn't have a hidden agenda....

(rant over)