At my biggest job, there are a lot of high-end lamps and luminaires that are handmade, one-off type of designs, more art than fixture.

I'm aware that lamps and fixtures must be labelled as a UL Approved Assembly, and that individual UL stamps on various parts, such as the plug or the lamp socket (Edison Base) doesn't count towards this...

How does one make a one-off handmade lamp a get approval from UL?

Artisan Craftmanship is BIG in West Virginia, especially in the hippy-laden area of Greenbrier County.

Also, a neighboring county has the Tamarack which showcases artisans through-out the state.

What I'm getting at:

I might start making lamps. You wouldn't believe what they're selling for...

Piece of driftwood, a lamp kit from any various hardware supply, stretch some brain-tanned squirrel hyde over a lampshade frame, and PRESTO! A $400 to $800 lamp.

Heck, anything... Old horse shoes, railroad spikes, anything wooden... As long as it has a rustic look and is priced high enough to be desirable (and low enough not to be ridiculous) it'll sell. I'm thoroughly convinced.

Sky's the limit if I can get the UL thing worked out...

<sarcasm>Heck, I have a Cherokee Nation Card, I can even make genuine Native American Lamps!

[Linked Image] </sarcasm>

Any ideas, horror stories, or roadblocks?

I kinda figure they'll want thousands of copies of each model to destroy in every way possible and a full report to the nth degree detail of each and every design...

That would be impossible.

[Linked Image]

Awaiting my bubble to be burst...

-Virgil

PS: This \"Person's\" doing it in Alaska...

[This message has been edited by sparky66wv (edited 10-28-2002).]

-Virgil
Residential/Commercial Inspector
5 Star Inspections
Member IAEI