This is a topic of great interest to me. I have been concerned about my exposure to liability since I started as an EC two years ago(one man show). Does anyone really know what we are liable for and what we can do to protect ourselves?

I'm a sole prop. and am looking at becoming an s corp. It seems a bit pricy and complicated right now though. I have insurance but I guess I need to figure out exactly what it covers and for how long.

For jobs over $1000 I write up a contract. Perhaps I should have one for all jobs, no matter how small stating my hourly rate and all the terms and conditions in my other contract and have the HO sign it before I start. I hesitate doing this because it seems a bit paranoid and I feel it may turn off some of my customers. But this is the world we live in.

I know the laws are different from state to state but there must be some other CYA techniques that I'm not seeing?

Growler,
I did not mean to imply that there is some rule or law protecting unlicensed people from being sued. I should have said that you can't get blood out of rock. And liabilty lawers don't like rocks.