Hello there - I've lurked on and off for the last 6 months, but this is my first post.

I am the admin for a very small electrical contractor. We're just a start-up and though I've experience running a business office, this is my first time in the trades, and I'm lacking some industry specific knowledge.

A large remodeler with whom we have a contract called us on a Saturday; his client was having a problem with stuff not working. We had just been in the day before so figured someone goofed up somewhere.

We sent one of our employees in to fix it. It turned out to be a no-brainer - this homeowner apparently fancies himself a bit of electrician (according to the guys, has pipe benders, etc. of his own). Well, he must've been playing around with some things and forgot what he was doing - because the darn breaker was switched off! (At least it wasn't an error on our part)

We have been working on a policy of OT calculated on a weekly basis (vs. daily basis). That is, we pay OT after 40 hrs per week - not after 8 hrs per day. Our payroll period runs Sat - Fri. This allows us to give our guys some flexibility re: making up missed hours, especially since all but one have kids.

Unfortunately, this past Monday everyone was off for the holiday, so this employee has less than 40 hrs for the period. (We are too new and too broke to offer paid holidays - yet)

Question # 1: Now, since he was pulled in on a Saturday, is he automatically entitled to OT pay even though he is not over 40 hrs per week?

Also, our mileage policy is you eat whatever it takes to your first job of the day (within reason). After that, if we send you somewhere else, mileage is logged and reimbursed. Mileage to your home, from wherever, is also your responsibility.

Ques # 2: Since this wasn't a regularly scheduled workday, I would think we should pay him mileage. Do we pay for only one way or both ways?

I do not want to cheat this employee and I tend to prefer that we pay him OT and mileage both ways. However, even though I think my boss would agree with me, I need to know legally what we are required to do - in case my boss disagrees I'd like to be able to quote chapter and verse. Also, I'd like to put the correct info into the employee handbook that I'm woefully behind in creating. (I like my guys to be properly informed as to their rights, first of all; plus, if we do better than the minimum required by law, I'd like them to know that)

Ques # 3 - any Illinois based folks here who could point me to where I might find relevant resource material on the web? I know I should be able to find the statutes somewhere on/in/near the Dept of Labor area of the State of IL website but if you can provide a link or addy that would be quite helpful.

Thanks very much for any and all help,
M