Thanks, Steve. I wouldn't have known how to do any of this were it not for Bill providing this forum for us, and the for other people posting to help me out.

I've had some e-mails about this, so I wanted to add...

A reminder...this is for Residential Service for ECs with experience. For new construction...good luck making a profit.

Since creating a Sales Book, I can now estimate work in minutes while at the customer's house. I used to go back to the office to work up bids. I'm also prepared to work that day. This reduces my unbilled hours almost completely in the bid/contract process, and cuts my travel in half or third. In many cases it also gives MY customer no chance to call around for competitive prices.

I don't think it matters what software you use for your Sales Book as long as it looks professional. Obviously Excel is the software for numbers. I total bids up on a hand-written worksheet, and use a carbon type Contract Proposal when at the customer's house. In the office I use Word.

I have many tasks on my sheets which are probably not needed. With ceiling fans, for instance, I might eventually change it to...

Replace an existing ceiling fan
Install a ceiling fan with power wiring
Add switch wiring
Add remote control
Deduction for extra fans on the same job

If I had several techs, I'd certainly want the book to be more simple. You can make the numbers high enough to cover the job as an average as stated by Rick in a related post.

Dave