Hi,
I am ironing out Flat Rate Book rates vs Variable Flat Rate Spot Pricing. I am chief cook and bottle washer at my place! (sole prop)

Sometimes a job is worth more than others.

If you have a preset flat rate for replacing a 200A panel this would seem to restrict you from keeping up with several issues like changes in fuel cost and commodities.

ALso it would prevent you from making more profit from the same task.

Say I get a job to replace a 200A panel burnout in an old house...the job is for a little old lady who is living alone and has no insurance or deep pockets.

then you have the same job at a newer house from a young couple who just bought the house and both are professionals and they have insurance to cover the damaged panel replacement.

you get the same call from another woman who is living in an old house that is filthy and cluttered, smelly, nasty funk.
it doesnt look as if the woman has any money at all to spend on the work. I shoot a high price because I do not really want the job..low and behold she accepts!( come to find out this lady just won the lotto for $250K and has plenty of cash) just goes to show that looks can be deceiving.

These three examples (the third is true)demonstrate where I can make three different quotes. Each paying different.

Whereas if I quoted all three the same price I am leaving money on the table.

The cost would increase with each case from the first to the last.

There is probably a name for this practice and I wonder how ethical it is?

I am sure there are those who will be SHOCKED! I am not the only one who uses this method am I?

regards

Greg

[This message has been edited by mustangelectric (edited 02-03-2005).]