shortcircuit
Sounds like your problem is being sorted out.

As for the relay idea, I have done it before. Only to eleimate having the alarm guys smokes and mine right next to eachother. We're required to install hard wired smokes by law in new and major remodels, then the alarm company sells them some more with thier system.

On a simular problem, we had a very smart alarm guy "forget" to rough once! They rocked away! He did the wireless thing for most of the security. Then used our smokes with the relay described above, then another relay that triggered "loss of power" to thier monitor. Which, I believe they do anyway... Then only had to wire the heat detectors in a few key areas.

As far as the red wire, not sure if it is required to be red specifaly, very rarely do I see it used in residential systems. These most often are property protection, not life safety systems. Tempature and insulation another story. I'm not sure of what Massachusetts is requiring. (I left in 1990) But I hope it works out.

Yuo could also move some undesirable friend to the neighborhood, and drop the propety value... to say $999,999.99!

Mark Heller
"Well - I oughta....." -Jackie Gleason