I used to be very opinionated about certain wiring methods, when I was less experienced than I am now. Not so much wiring experienced, but 'lifes' experiences.

Bob
I thought that Mass. was permitting the use of NM cable in high rise buildings as well. I believe that Mass. and Michigan are two states that do not have all of the restrictions of NM cable that the NEC has. I have also heard that these states have experienced 20 or so years of no real problems with NM cable in those locations.

If you were to look at the changes in the NEC for 2002 in uses permitted and not permitted for NM, You will see they have taken the building height restriction out, and removed permission to install it in commercial 'drop' ceilings.

The reason for the drop ceiling change is the results of a smoke test were reviewed and the CMP decided it was in the best interest of safety to install the new restriction.

I personally believe that NM cable installed in the proper locations is just fine. All wiring methods have their place, thats is why they are in the NEC.

Pierre

Pierre Belarge