I'm not sure how much help this will be but...
First, find out what laws in your area (federal, state, & local) apply. There are certain questions that are illegal to ask (family plans, sexual orientation, religious affiliation, etc unless the job content and the laws permit asking) that can land you in deep trouble real quick. In fact, I know of one particular boss of mine that hired a person he knew would be troublesom simply because he had asked some of the no-no questions. He was advised to either hire her or get ready for a lawsuit just for asking what seemed to him to be some reasonable questions.

Second, even if you haven't had the need to do so in the past, you might consider a pre-employment drug screening if it's allowable under your laws. You'd be amazed at how many people won't pass the test and you're better off knowing that before they're on the payroll.

Next, one of the things that makes a good employee is finding one who buys into the mission of your business. Ask questions specific questions about the candidate's approach to delivering on the mission - what's their interpretation of their role or contribution? What kind of goals (both short term and long term) within the context of this potential employment?

Also, references, references, references and referrals, referrals, referrals. Put the word out to supply houses, at your church, tech school, etc., that you're interested in finding high-caliber employees with specific skills. If someone knows of a person with exceptional skills or who has done a great job, take the name of the person and then ask to see the job.

(At the same time, I'd love to plug mentoring and apprenticeship opportunities though I know you're not in this to babysit. The younger generation may be generally book-smart but many lack field experience.)