Mr. Powell,

Yes, that's the typical method I have seen with the long life type A Incandescent lamps - rating of 130 VAC stamped right on top.

Even had a Telemarketer make a very bold statement that they are rated for 130 VAC operation, and due to this the lamp will have an orange color to it. This person actually was truthful about some areas of the pitch!!

This certain one got my attention, instead of the normal ones where I just hang up, because the opening pitch was long life "Bulbs".
Even though I never planned to make a purchase [sure got that salesperson pissed at me when I dropped that bombshell!!], the thought of pushing long life Incandescent lamps caught my attention - so I acted like I was "Baited" - went as far as acting like I had no idea about Electrical tech or terminologies [until the end].

So it turned out they were going to try and sell me 130 watt A17 60 watt lamps for around $5.00 each +S&H - which is more than I would pay at the home centers [around $3.50 each, no S&H but fuel to drive there - might work out the same in the long run].

Kind of threw the person for a loop when I blerted that out, after their 5+ minute speech about how cool these lamps are and that they do everything - including the laundry [joke], but the worst was when I said no thank you! some quick swear words were heard before the line dropped!!

So much for that story!! [Linked Image]

Now I have seen heavy duty "A" type Incandescent lamps, which are used for Locomotives, and they are really built for the abuse! Supports for the fillament on at least 4, maybe 5 places, plus very thick filaments. Voltage was as I remember 75 VAC, and I think the nominal Aux. lighting voltage is like 63 VAC - I'll have to check.
The inert gas might have been Krypton, or just clean Argon - not sure on this.

Those lamps were the only long life and heavy duty ones I have ever really seen!!

Anyone else have a similar story???

Scott SET

P.S. - Steve: Love the term "Drive-By Shorting"!!! LMAO-ROTF-LOL!!!

Scott " 35 " Thompson
Just Say NO To Green Eggs And Ham!