Trumpy:

I think to a degree what could cause problems here is nothing short of bad communication.

Exactly!! When someone is working on equipment, and locks it out, it is presumed that a tag or note is also present explaining the "whats" and "whys" for the lockout.

It would seem that in most cases of people ignoring LOTO as related on this site, it is usually those who have no clue that work is taking place, they just know that their power went off. Mind, this doesn't excuse the removal of LOTO devices or resetting breakers without knowledge of cause/effect, but explains why these incidents seem to keep happening.

Short of stationing someone at the disconnect or breaker, there is no 100% way of assuring that some fool won't hit the power. Posting someone at the LOTO is exactly what I would do if working on equipment remote from the disconnect/breaker. Give that person a walkie-talkie and orders to not allow anyone near the disconnect/breaker.

Overkill? I don't think so. If I were working on equipment such as a panel, transformer or MCC where the fault potential is high, even paying some one $10+/hour is still a lot cheaper than the consquences of unwanted energization. I wouldn't place my safety on the idea of creating a short in the very equipment I'm working on.

If some idiot was to throw the controlling switch(which would never happen here, it's controlled by the PoCo Control room).

Which is why the practice is a great idea for utilities, the nature of control and operations makes it a lot safer than what would happen in a commercial/industrial envrionment.

edited to add:

And the standards of training and qualification are a lot higher at most utilites.

[This message has been edited by mxslick (edited 09-02-2005).]

Stupid should be painful.