After downloading and reading the manual for this transformer, Some thoughts come to mind in reference to Paul's posts:

The shutdown was accomplished using the transformer's built-in switch. So, it seems possible that the incoming cable terminations (even if "separable insulated connector" type) would still be energized and accessable in the HV compartment. Definitely would need PPE in that case, I don't think any less - restrictive requirements in the equipment manual would sway the inspector's opinion. The presence of the baffles referred to in the manual would not matter I think.

However, the manual allows for "rated glove only" operation of the internal switches. (Don't think I'd want to be near a faulted transformer to turn a disconnect switch by hand!)

I did have an incident some years back where a 480 pri 120/240 sec transformer failed at a cinema and I was asked to shut it down. (Old style SqD fused switchgear.) I did not have proper PPE and refused. We put in an emergency call to their electrician and the fire dept. The electrician arrived, suited up and shut it down. Thankfully it was a low-level fault in the secondary, lots of smoke but no boom.

As a side note, the direct link didn't work for me. I had to enter the transformer model # in the "Search" field. (79025M) That brings up a list of all the product brochures, scroll down to the full model #.

Trumpy:

Do you always use gloves with hotsticks? (Assuming distribution class under 40kV.) IIRC in the Air Force, thier distribution crews were forbidden to wear gloves when using hotsticks! The logic was that gloves would prevent one from feeling the "fuzziness" caused by a hotstick which was marginal in withstand ability. Sounds illogical and dangerous to me.

edited html

[This message has been edited by mxslick (edited 08-21-2005).]

Stupid should be painful.